Monday, January 18, 2010

"I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance." - George Balanchine

Though this blog was mainly created for my Entrepreneurship class I decided to take this opportunity to see if pursuing a dream of mine would actually be worth it.

Anyone who actually knows me beyond my business courses knows dance has been a passion of mine for over 18 years now. Though I work avidly in the hotel industry now (and enjoy it, don't get me wrong) I have always had the dream of operating my own Dance Studio. That is actually one of the reasons I became a Business Management Major. I have my Minor in Dance Performance, but I needed to know the business background of things to see if my business venture is actually worth pursuing.

I have a thorough dance education of 18+ years including: 12 years of dance training in various forms from Dansworks Dance Studio, I have substitute taught classes since I was young, I was a member of Cedar High School's Drill Team, Mohey Tawa, throughout high school and became Captain, I have taught a variety of classes at 3 different studios over the last 4 years of my college education, as well as pursuing and completing my dance minor at Southern Utah University.

Though I've attempted to move on from this dream for a variety of reasons, I can't help but see opportunity to pursue it. When walking/driving past buildings and developing areas I notice particular buildings that would work perfect for a dance studio. Then my mind begins to reel and without trying I automatically plan which walls would work best for mirrors and bars, which part could be sectioned off into smaller/larger classrooms to accommodate every kind of class from hip hop, to pointe ballet, to ballroom. Would I offer tap classes? What ages should I market too? What about the older adult segment of the market that just wants a once-a-week class to just get in shape, not think about work, get away from the kids, or simply bring back a glimpse of how they used to feel when they danced when they were younger?

My goal with this blog is to utilize it as a tool to see if my dance studio is even an option in my life and in the current or near future markets.

"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance" - Japanese Proverb

4 comments:

  1. I say go for it! You've been talking about this practically since I met you and you're an amazing dancer, it'd be a shame not to share your talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This is KaLyn, Talon's cousin) I think dreams should always be reached for. Starting your own dance studio might be difficult, but it is definitely possible! Just remember that it might start out slow, but it can grow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would come to your adult classes. We all know I can't dance... that's why I dropped out when I was younger....even though Im not good I love it. You should do it

    ReplyDelete